Bass Lake 06’
We pulled in the drive by that Minnesota sign and drove past that old rusty gate,
And were back for another week of “Bass Lake” on our families’ traditional date. We noticed right away as our eyes scanned the camp that things had changed just a bit,
With the addition of a new “Rainbow” playground and an inviting new campfire pit.
The rest of the place showed off all its “charm” as it has for so many years,
The “stuff” that the loyal bunch ignores for a week yet drives all the non-comers fears.
Now for those of you who chose to miss camp it was one for the history books,
You missed all the fun and fellowship we had while admiring the “Jerry’s” good looks.
You’ve probably heard we were the cutest bunch there that have ever served up a dinner,
And if “Best Dressed Chefs” was a contest at camp “The Jerry’s” would be your winner!
Domination didn’t end with our stunning good looks and possessing a sharply honed wit,
Just ask all the “losers” who got schooled by the “Jerry’s” each night at the volleyball pit.
I must have done something real bad to “The Jim’s” that got their undies in a bunch,
Cuz the first day at camp they turned ole’ Babe loose to eat our dog “Skeeter” for lunch.
I know they’re just dogs and I’m not quite convinced that they better our quality of life,
But if anything bad ever happened to ours I’d probably have to find a new wife.
It was good to see those who we’d not seen in years like Sara and a big group of Paul’s,
And a boyfriend of “R’s” kept showing his face in windows, family photos and on walls.
One of the “Shirl’s” said she’d come for the week and the bloggers said that’d be nice,
She spent a few hours then took her gang home and blamed it on the bats and the mice.
Each night after dark we’d meet in the chapel and take time to worship the Lord,
We sang our old favorite hymns of the faith and were challenged again by God’s Word.
When chapel was over we’d stroll to the kitchen and enjoy lots of cookies folks brought,
But beware of the Ginger Snaps James likes to bake cuz man them little suckers is HOT!
I’d like to encourage each member of the family to make plans for the upcoming years,
To join in the fun with the whole Martin Clan and get rid of your silly Bass Lake fears.
Well, I can’t say enough about how great it is spending time with this family for a week,
And I want to assure all you readers of my poem I tried not to write tongue in cheek.
So this will be the first of many good posts from Uncle Jeff for you bloggers to see,
Because now all the pressure’s on me to uphold my title as “The Blog’s MVB”.
We pulled in the drive by that Minnesota sign and drove past that old rusty gate,
And were back for another week of “Bass Lake” on our families’ traditional date. We noticed right away as our eyes scanned the camp that things had changed just a bit,
With the addition of a new “Rainbow” playground and an inviting new campfire pit.
The rest of the place showed off all its “charm” as it has for so many years,
The “stuff” that the loyal bunch ignores for a week yet drives all the non-comers fears.
Now for those of you who chose to miss camp it was one for the history books,
You missed all the fun and fellowship we had while admiring the “Jerry’s” good looks.
You’ve probably heard we were the cutest bunch there that have ever served up a dinner,
And if “Best Dressed Chefs” was a contest at camp “The Jerry’s” would be your winner!
Domination didn’t end with our stunning good looks and possessing a sharply honed wit,
Just ask all the “losers” who got schooled by the “Jerry’s” each night at the volleyball pit.
I must have done something real bad to “The Jim’s” that got their undies in a bunch,
Cuz the first day at camp they turned ole’ Babe loose to eat our dog “Skeeter” for lunch.
I know they’re just dogs and I’m not quite convinced that they better our quality of life,
But if anything bad ever happened to ours I’d probably have to find a new wife.
It was good to see those who we’d not seen in years like Sara and a big group of Paul’s,
And a boyfriend of “R’s” kept showing his face in windows, family photos and on walls.
One of the “Shirl’s” said she’d come for the week and the bloggers said that’d be nice,
She spent a few hours then took her gang home and blamed it on the bats and the mice.
Each night after dark we’d meet in the chapel and take time to worship the Lord,
We sang our old favorite hymns of the faith and were challenged again by God’s Word.
When chapel was over we’d stroll to the kitchen and enjoy lots of cookies folks brought,
But beware of the Ginger Snaps James likes to bake cuz man them little suckers is HOT!
I’d like to encourage each member of the family to make plans for the upcoming years,
To join in the fun with the whole Martin Clan and get rid of your silly Bass Lake fears.
Well, I can’t say enough about how great it is spending time with this family for a week,
And I want to assure all you readers of my poem I tried not to write tongue in cheek.
So this will be the first of many good posts from Uncle Jeff for you bloggers to see,
Because now all the pressure’s on me to uphold my title as “The Blog’s MVB”.
20 Comments:
Bravo! uncle jeff, I must say it is good to have you back. I was worried.
He's Back! Keep those poems coming.
There's nothing like a well crafted poem to refresh the memory and bring on a smile. Thanks Uncle Jeff! We've been missing you.
What a great remembrance of such a special and rich time. I'm already dreaming of summer '07.
We love the poem!
And DID you think we'd be so delirious with joy and relief at seeing your poem that we'd ignore a few discrepancies??
1) Jims are way cuter than Jerrys, and we don't need matching shirts to up our cuteness factor.
2) The Jerrys were not undefeated in the VB pits. The Ralphs and Jims dealt a few blows of their own.
Whoa - I'm sensing no humility here, UJ!
Oh yes, I am making perfect sense - no delirium here, while you are showing an total lack of humility.
I'll admit to a tie for cuteness among the top generation. I think the Jims, Jerrys, Shirls, Ralphs, Carols, and Daves are all equally cute. And I'll have to admit the next generation shares the cute genes as well.
Your problem is related to the remote syndrome - domination, as you even admitted in the poem.
As I read my comments I sound terrible - you do know I'm kidding, right? I'll gladly let the Jerrys be the cutest, wittiest, strongest, etc. We Jims will be the kindest and sweetest. Maybe another family can be the humblest.
I was wondering, do you think this Jim's/Jerry's constant feuding has scared off the Shirl's and Carol's to the point of making up their own family blogs??????
I really laughed at the poem - it was great. I just could not resist pointing out Jeff's lack of humility. However, as I in reality think the Jerrys are as great as they think they are themselves, we are all in agreement. My feuding days are over. This is the real Char.
Do the Carols have a blog too? How nice.
OK well I hope I'm welcome here on the Uncle Jeff and Aunt Char blog.
I thought I would raise my voice of support for the Jims. Mom it's OK maybe the Jerrys had the cutest like Jane and Maggie and Maybe they did win in Volleyball, but we can't forget the other categories in which the Jims are obviously the victors. Mom think of the beauty category, cuteness is not the same thing and not nearly as valuable as beauty. Consider also the category of the waterfront...ummmm hello! is there even a question who rule the aqua arena. Oh yeah Ryan I agree with you I think there is some stiff competition happenin right here between my mom and your dad. I don't know if I can take it... who will the blogarita go to next year?
Come on Carols, Shirls and Ralfs and Daves we want to hear from you!
To answer your question Jill...if you look at their blogs(they are really nice by the way)they are not getting participation from their family on those sites either...so I don't think we've scared anyone, some people are bloggers and some...not so much!
Yes, it is fun to see all their pictures! We love them, bloggers or not. And I'm pretty sure everyone knows the feuding is all in fun, at least on my part. I never know about those Jerrys! Except of course we trust Laura and the girls.
You guys are characters! I love it!
Yes, yes the Drury Report (http://druryreport.blogspot.com)has seen a slow start, but I have high hopes that it'll pick up the pace soon. I've laid the ground work & have primed the blog with my posts, now I just need the rest of my family to join in.
By the way, if any of you "non-Shirls" want to contribute to the Drury Report, please send me an e-mail (joelandstacyham@gmail.com) and I'll shoot over an invitation to the blog to you. Of course, you are always free to stop by and add comments to any of the posts. I'm sure I speak for the "Shirls" when I say that we consider it an honor when company stops by.
Well, off I go to try to inspire my family to blog. Wish me luck, or better yet, pray for me! ;)
Much Love,
Big Joel
Uncle Jeff!!! You must have gone without the remote for a while while composing this 'humdinger'! Remarkable. Very nice. I have to humbly ask if you were speaking of ME in the poem?!
I am sorry I've been out of blogville because I've been romping through France instead.....sorry. Hopefully, we can post some picks. It was amazing.
Not sure if the bathrooms there were better than Bass Lake's though.....hmmmm.....;-)
Oh aunt B, we'd LOVE to see some pics! Please post. Personally, I'm thankful for whatever time you could spare for BL, and it was great to see you and your not-so-little ones! They are precious.
Thanks, Char. The Jim's being gracious to the Shirl's. It's a beautiful thing. :-)
But how could anyone NOT be gracious to the Shirls? We Jims do try - although you won't find us bragging about it! ;-)
"ya...whatever Char"
Post a Comment
<< Home