Tuesday, October 24, 2006

New Life In An Old Man

Throughout my life I’ve tried pretty hard to be an example of a God pleasing man,
To study my Bible and pray to the Lord and be at our church when I can.
I’ve worked with the youth and sang in the choir and did trustee stuff for ten years,
But ever since camp and the truth Paul preached my heart has been troubled with fears.
For over a month I conquered those fears and rationalized them onto the shelf,
But as our Pastor preached from the Gospel of John it caused me to examine myself.
It made me to doubt my condition with God or to know if I was a child of the King,
And holding my life up in front of the mirror didn’t reveal one God desiring thing.
But all of that changed on October 15th as the power of the Holy Spirit did start,
To “blow as it wishes” like it says in John 3 and continued convicting my heart.
My palms got sweaty and my pulse raced higher as panic had really set in,
For I knew that my heart was no place for God because it was black with my sin.
I didn’t do business with God there at church because Satan was holding on tight.
Trying to convince me that I was just fine and that I was doing everything right.
That’s when it hit me, that I was the problem, that I was the one causing the strife,
That I was a sinner headed to Hell because I didn’t have Christ in my life.
So I went and got Laura and she sat by my side as I prayed and confessed all my sin,
And I accepted Christ as my personal Savior and surrendered my whole life to Him.
Now because of this change in my spiritual life it threw a few things in a lurch,
Like having been baptized back at age 12 and the status of my membership at church.
So after meeting with pastors and deacons and such baptism did follow to show,
My first act of obedience to the Lord of my life as a testimony for everyone to know.
It’s been quite a shocker to my family and friends my children and even my wife,
But I give God the glory and thank Him and praise Him for giving Jeff Martin a new life.

16 Comments:

At October 24, 2006 6:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is seriously the best news!!! Thank you SO MUCH for posting this so the rest of us can join in on the celebration!! News like this makes me LOVE our AWESOME God so much more!

Seriously-- I can't stop smiling! Thanks for sharing Uncle Jeff!!

 
At October 24, 2006 6:49 AM, Blogger Uncle Jim said...

Wow! Praise the Lord, Jeff!
I am always thrilled to hear of a salvation decision -- and especially from one who we all thought was already saved (making it all the harder to admit to and resolve.)
What a heartache not to see a loved one in heaven for eternity, all because of pride.
Thanks for sharing that great news! It made my day already!

 
At October 24, 2006 10:16 AM, Blogger Aunt Char said...

We are full of joy and are praising the Lord, Jeff! Thanks so much for telling us all.

 
At October 24, 2006 1:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its so awesome how our God works! Is there anything that ever compares to Him and the way He works in everyone's lives? Just today in chapel i heard an amazing salvation testimony and now I hear another incredible changing work God has done!!!!

 
At October 24, 2006 3:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe my first comment would get to be on such an important day. I look at the Martin blog often to keep up with all of you cousins, ect. but what an inspiring poem!! Jeff, there is nothing greater than peace with
God. What a wonderful Savior! I am so glad that I looked at the blog this afternoon, it truly was a thrill to read your poem. You have a wonderful way of expressing all you went through. Thank you so much for sharing that so we could rejoice with you and your family.

 
At October 24, 2006 4:11 PM, Blogger Joel and Stacy Ham said...

PRAISE GOD! He makes all things new! Your testimony is a great example of how God works through the Holy Spirit. I thank God for your humility & grace. I pray that you will pursue Christ with reckless abandon of your own will & desires and you will one day, a long time from now, hear the Father say, "Well done, good and faithful servant." May we all do the same, wholly relying on God's grace. Congratulations Jeff!

 
At October 24, 2006 4:30 PM, Blogger JennieB said...

Thank you Jeff for sharing with us how God drew you to Himself. May He use you in a mighty way to draw others as well. What a good, gracious, merciful God we serve.

 
At October 24, 2006 5:20 PM, Blogger Martin said...

OH WOW!!!!! that's awesome. I didn't get saved till i was 15, but everyone thought i got saved when I was 6, so i know the feeling of wondering what everyone would say, when you actually really get saved. PRAISE THE LORD!!!!!! Doesn’t it truly feel like a very heavy burden has been lifted?

 
At October 25, 2006 11:51 AM, Blogger Aunt B said...

What else but say WAHOOOO! Then, go grab the Kleenex! Thanks for letting us all in on it! Sniff Sniff! We love ya pal!

 
At October 26, 2006 6:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeff! That is truly an awesome poem and praise God for all he is doing in and through you. When you grow up in a christian home, it is so easy to go through the motions. We are thrilled for your new life in Christ!!

 
At October 26, 2006 7:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an amazing testimony of god's love and grace! Ephesians1:4&5 tells of God's choosing us to be His very own even before He created the world.His plans are perfect!!I'm so thrilled to know you are now part of His family! We will pray God uses you to bring Him glory He is so deserving of! Thanks for the poem! You are so gifted!!!

 
At October 26, 2006 9:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, what an exciting time to check the blog!!!!!!!!!!! PRAISE GOD! wow! this is awsome news, thanks for sharing!!

 
At October 27, 2006 6:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you serious?

 
At October 28, 2006 7:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord! Jeff, we were both so excited to hear of this wonderful news! Congratulations Jeff.

 
At October 29, 2006 8:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeff...I am sooooooooooooooo happy for you! I was sharing this news with a bunch of people at a dinner party I had at my place on Saturday night. Some of them got goose bumps when I told them. God's power is moving! Praise the Lord for His continual love and forgiveness in our lives!!

 
At October 30, 2006 8:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Uncle Jeff, I just wanted to send you a note to tell you how excited I am for you and how proud of you we all are too. I know that it had to take a ton of honesty, humility and courage to make a step like that. Thanks for being so open with everyone Outstanding poem too by the way. Looking forward to seeing you at Thanksgiving!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home