Thursday, November 23, 2006

The last hunt of the season.

Melanie and I went out deer hunting for the last time this season. Our friend Andrew came with us and shot this nice 5x4 mule deer buck.

Melanie's first whitetail buck! It is a 4 point whitetail buck. By the way, out here a 4 point means four points on each side.

This is a nice whitetail and she made a really good shot on him. She is becoming quite the hunter and outdoorswoman!

This is my 5 point mule deer buck. We put about a two mile stalk on him with only 45 minutes before dark. By the time I snuck up on him and shot him I had 5 minutes of shooting light left! We worked hard for this one and it paid off!

We praise the Lord for the success we had and for allowing us to enjoy His creation!

A perfect ending to a fun and exciting hunting season!

12 Comments:

At November 23, 2006 6:42 PM, Blogger Aunt Char said...

What a sunset! Wow!

Congratulations on the successful hunt! And what a relief that the mountain lion did not get Rick!
;-)

 
At November 23, 2006 6:57 PM, Blogger Uncle Jim said...

Nice deer you dears!
I still can't quite believe my Ann Taylor girl is hunting and gutting her own deer.
More power to you guys.
We will look forward to some antelope and venison.
Of course we missed you at the Nelson Thanksgiving feed. There was no pictionary without you. Of course we would have won with Rick!
Enjoy your time with your folks.

 
At November 23, 2006 7:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must share the hunting stories:
Rick told a little about his. It was an exciting stalk and an exciting kill. As soon as the deer went down, I hoofed it to the truck (two miles away) because I knew I had to go while there was still a little light, or we'd never find it. I came across a porcupine on the way, which got me a little jumpy. Well, I made it to the truck and I drove the truck (I'm getting pretty good at manuals). And I closed the hardest gate of my life. It was only the Lord. Anyway, I lost the road. Just picture me running circles around the pickup trying to find the road again with my lantern. I FINALLY found it, and continued. When I got to the end of the road, Rick radioed me on our GPS. I looked across the field and saw his head lamp so I knew where they were. Well, Rick was giving me instructions, "Bring my flashlight and the lantern. Turn off the truck, but turn..." and silence. I looked out across the field and saw no light. I thought maybe the gps was low on batteries, because when it is, sometimes you can hear what someone else says, but you can't transmit. So I said, "If your batteries are dying, flash the light three times." Nothing. I said, "If you're there, flash the light." nothing. By then I was near tears. I called out in desperation, "Rick...Rick...Hello....can you hear me?" I knew what had happened. A mountain lion caught wind of the fresh kill, and came in to make a kill of his own. I was thinking I would drive to the Rancher's house and get a search team. I was scared out of my mind. So I tried one more time on the GPS, "DO YOU COPY?" And finally, "Yes, turn the pick up off, but turn the interior lights on." As if no big deal he kept me in worriment for so long! What happened is that the batteries died, and he was into the ravine where the deer and backpack with new batteries were, so I couldn't see the light.

 
At November 23, 2006 8:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW!! You never cease to amaze me Mell-bell!! So happy for you both- quite the hunting season for you!

That sunset is amazing!! That'll get me out there for sure;-)!

 
At November 24, 2006 7:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome!!!! Nice job Rick and Melanie!!!!!!! I miss you guys! Love you! ~amy

 
At November 25, 2006 6:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Melanie - just to reassure you for next time: a mountain lion would be much more interested in fresh game ready to eat than in Rick. AND Rick has a gun! So next time - no worries for you! ;-)

I was thinking you should write to the Hesses and thank them for his lessons at camp! Wouldn't they be thrilled?

 
At November 25, 2006 6:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And Amy - we missed you this Thanksgiving? Any chance we could get you to come some time over Christmas?

 
At November 25, 2006 7:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank Mrs. Martin. It's always nice to be missed! ;) It was nice to stick around and not worry about travel this year! You didn't play pictionary? The guys didn't want to lose or something!? ;) Happy Thanksgiving weekend to all of you! :)

 
At November 25, 2006 7:38 PM, Blogger Aunt Char said...

Ha, ha! We took pity on the guys and did not insist on a game. With Rebeka and Elizabeth on the same wavelength, do you think Bob and Jim and Josh would have had a chance? No way! We SHOULD have insisted!

 
At November 26, 2006 12:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a very important tid bit to share: I gutted my own deer! Let me tell you, on my antelope, everyone would ask, "did you gut it?" and I hadn't. So I gutted this thing and I've been waiting and waiting for someone to ask me, "did you gut it?" (because you know they're trying to belittle me because they think the answer is "no") but, NO ONE HAS ASKED ME YET, so I just have to spread the word.

 
At November 26, 2006 1:33 PM, Blogger Uncle Jim said...

I never asked about gutting the deer because I knew you could do it and it was inevitable that you would do it. Way to go girl!
Now I want to hear how you processed your own deer (right down to the sausage and ground venison)along with tanning the hide and mounting the head!

 
At November 27, 2006 6:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mell... I just have to know!!! Did you gut your own deer???;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home