Thursday, October 06, 2005

Hmmmm...there are no "toes" visible in this photo...could it be true?
Perhaps the strange stance helps him balance without the all important "little Piggys"

22 Comments:

At October 07, 2005 5:44 AM, Blogger Aunt Char said...

Love the picture - where do these fantastic photos come from?

 
At October 07, 2005 6:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always stand in amazement at the "photogenicy" us Martins poses!

Looks like you have another canidate for your G.Q. modeling class- Ryan! Good luck with that one... looks like he will be a toughy!

 
At October 07, 2005 9:24 AM, Blogger laura40mar said...

DING DING...YOU ARE CORRECT MY SON!

 
At October 07, 2005 10:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The look on Joel's face makes me reconsider Jeff's words about Joel's memory loss - he does have a sort of memory-loss look. And I thought Jeff was joking! Hmmm...

 
At October 07, 2005 11:39 AM, Blogger laura40mar said...

Oh be kind "Dear" brother-in-law`

 
At October 07, 2005 11:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a must Joel! I think you should add quite the variety!

Don't worry Laura- you'd look in any hair-style

 
At October 07, 2005 12:30 PM, Blogger Aunt Char said...

Joel,Joel, must I resort to brick-throwing again? I can't promise they'll all be velvet! I'm not sure what the explanation for the pose is, but it for sure was not the Jims' cooking!

That being said, let's see Laura's hairstyles!

 
At October 07, 2005 2:38 PM, Blogger Uncle Jim said...

All of this about fingers, feet, and toes! -- In a recent little stroll down memory lane, it seems to me the Jerrys' have quite a history in this realm, so as to Joel's missing members, anything is possible (and I'm sure they haven't shared everything.)
Let's see, as I remember, there was Jeff's bare foot fire dance on live coals over at Grandma & Grandpa's Welcome Ave. address some years back.
I believe there was a near disaster with a lawn tractor blade encounting Uncle Jerry's foot...
Jeff, haven't you had vast experience with podiatric medicine in the realm of toenails? And I'm sure, Jeff, you had some responsibility for the name "Sore Toe Dropoff" at Bass Lake Retreat Center? Am I right?
Such reminders only serve to make me hungry for a helping of Uncle Steve's roasted "fingerlings" and a serving of pigs in a blanket. Oh, maybe the Jerrys'will consider these as sacrificial menu selections for next summer's fine Bass Lake cuisine.

 
At October 07, 2005 3:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Jim! Very exquisit commentary on the Jerry's!! You go JIM!!!!

 
At October 08, 2005 8:17 AM, Blogger Aunt Char said...

Many apologies on my part for being so sensitive, Joel! You are right - the expression on your face is definitely one of "fullness." However, the Jim's did not serve bologna, so you must be thinking of a DIFFERENT meal!

 
At October 08, 2005 12:17 PM, Blogger Aunt Char said...

Now Jeff AND Joel, I have observed your eating habits at Bass Lake, where only the food truly excels. And any "fulness" you are experiencing (Joel is the one who referred to that "full" feeling) is not the result of the evening meal. It is the unfortunate side effect of over-indulging (also Joel's term) in TOO MANY COOKIES! You eat them pre-meal, post-meal, late-night, probably have your pockets stuffed with them on your LONG golf outings, and you just don't stop. Cookies are irresistable to you and you have no self-control. You just keep filling your "old pot." (no reference to the Bass Lake facilities intended, believe me)

And you'll have to admit, the photo does not lie - definitely a bologna fullness look, not to mention that his speech also provides ample proof of the source of his fulness.

My advice - exercise some self-control with the cookies, and the meals will be more pleasant for you. Really, this is all in YOUR best interest. We want your Bass Lake experience to be totally WONDERFUL!

 
At October 08, 2005 2:57 PM, Blogger Aunt Char said...

A little loud in the protesting there, Jeff! It seems you're being a little sensitive, although I thought you had the hard hat on. I'm just pointing out the obvious, certainly not policing anyone. After all, cookies are part of what makes Bass Lake WONDERFUL!

So shall we agree that it is JOEL who is over-indulging, as he admitted himself? And shall we blame his cookie habit, rather than the Jim's cooking, as you rather hastily (and jokingly) assumed?

And please tell us about the fire dance on hot coals, and Sore Toe Drop-off. I'm sure there are many who have not heard the details. Or maybe these things are too painful to remember!

 
At October 09, 2005 8:19 PM, Blogger Martin said...

Wow Jeff I think you should get an award for that story. You sent my mom through a box and a half of tissues, Bravo! I'm stunned, that A: I never heard this story before(usually you martin adults can't wait to pontificate on the hardships you faced as kids) and B: that you truly are a saint, never once have I heard a word's complaint from your mouth, what a trooper! Do you have nasty scars on your feet though? Maybe you should employ your son's services on how to be a GQ model, with scars on your feet, although I heard that girls like a man who has battle scars. Truly though I must say that I cringed when I read that story, I wince at little burns on my knuckles from the ovens at work, I can't imagine 3rd degree burns on your feet. Aunt Janet, MAJOR MAJOR PROPS TO YA!

 
At October 10, 2005 6:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I now understand why you are the way you are Jeff!!! (wink)

Seriously- that's quite catastrophic--- and yeah, I am most surprised this story has never surfaced before!!!

~Many sympathies

 
At October 10, 2005 6:44 AM, Blogger Aunt Char said...

Actually, the tears did not require a box and a half. There was just a little tearing, and that was while I was relating the story to Maria at the part where the saintly (and pregnant) Aunt Janet sang the Muffin Man song with Jeff during the peelings. And do you actually remember these events, Jeff? You told the story so well, and I've never heard it from you before.

Jim said we will really appreciate the "Jer and the Mower deck" story. Can't wait! Shall I get the tissues ready?

 
At October 10, 2005 12:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Joel Pete looks like he is singing "Oh do you know the muffin man" in that picture.
He looks mighty jolly in that pose!

 
At October 10, 2005 6:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey 7-sars-a-swimming...I think u r right, he does look rather jolly, skipping along down the path. Don't u think he'd make a good Santa. Maybe, he's getting practiced up for the holidays around the corner. He would make a jolly old Saint Nick...Don't u think? especially with the beard and all.

 
At October 11, 2005 4:49 PM, Blogger Aunt Char said...

One of Melanie's earliest memories was from when she was two years old, also. Hers were not QUITE as scarring as Jeff's! But one of her first memories is of a nurse holding James in the hospital (just after birth). Melanie was furious that someone else would be holding HER family's baby!

Sometime I'll tell you about James' earliest memory, but you would not believe it.

 
At October 12, 2005 7:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

James told me about his first memory-- AMAZING!! Almost unbelievable! I think you should tell Aunt Char!!!

 
At October 12, 2005 11:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, please tell. I'm sitting on the edge of my seat waiting!!

 
At October 12, 2005 11:47 AM, Blogger Aunt Char said...

OK, I will, but I'll wait for James to get home from school so I get the facts straight.

 
At October 12, 2005 3:46 PM, Blogger Aunt Char said...

All his early years James had a memory of 2 nurses putting a white thing over his head. He was crying and they were telling him gently to be quiet. There was a green caterpillar on the wall, a happy one on a poster. He also remembers Jim holding him. He always wondered, growing up, what the memories were of, but he never talked about it. Then when he was 10, he was on a field trip and visited a hospital. The kids were shown a room where baby operations take place, he saw the table for surgery, and they showed the kids the mask for anesthesia. He thought, "So that's what that is!" The only situation it could possibly be was his surgery at 2 months. It seems unbelievable that he'd remember that. A nurse in our church says it is possible for a child to remember specific details if they've endured a trauma at a young age.

He still didn't tell me about it until a couple years ago. I think we are fearfully and wonderfully made.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home